Sunday, June 27, 2010

Connections in Unlikely Places

This week I have been lucky enough to be given an opportunity to attend Girls State, a government simulation for girls all over California. Although this program has no correlation to the Ivy Scholars program the ideals are very similar.
The Girls of Girls State
Yesterday we had a speaker by the name of Michelle Jackman attend the opening ceremony. She shared with us her wisdom about life, which she had broken down into five steps and titled The High 5. The amazing thing was that Jackman’s process for success lined up exactly with those of Never Eat Alone author Keith Ferrazzi. [One of the required reading of the YISP] Both pushed the ideas of communicating with those around you, getting acknowledged for the work you’ve been doing, and getting along with your coworkers. Both views have changed the way I will tackle the challenges to come. Thanks to their push I have sent out emails to the people I know in my immediate family and in my network of close friends that have attended colleges I am interested in. Although that will not do the work for me, their information may hone my research in a manor that I didn’t expect.

Of all the books I’ve read so far, Never Eat Alone has had the most direct influence on me. Although Cyrus the Great was a marvelous story, I felt the authenticity was lost knowing that the author had chosen to change the original tense to first person. However, I was still captivated by the progressive views of a leader from so long ago.
I look foreword to continuing my reading and finding more connections to it here at Girls State and the world around me.

1 comment:

  1. Marisol,

    We’d love to read more about your adventures at Girls State and how it relates to the Yale Ivy Scholar Program. Perhaps when you complete the YISP we can read some of your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete