Saturday, June 19, 2010

Assigned Reading

The assigned reading for Yale has proved excellent so far. I was worried that the books would be dry and boring, but the two I've read so far have proved me wrong.

I finished reading "The Art of War" by Sun Tzu, which Yohanna recommended. I wanted to dwell on passages to reread them over and over again, but I needed to keep my reading moving as well. There was a lot of excellent advice on leadership and war that I want to apply in Marching Band at Pinole Valley High.

This is the best part about all of this reading. I can really relate to the text and use the information in real life, which is why I'm so excited about this program. Grand Strategy, whether it be in the classroom or in the Oval Office, is something that will be useful throughout my life.

Now I'm reading Cyrus the Great, which I can safely say is one of the best books I have ever read. It's easy to read, entertaining, and filled with excellent advice. I love how it's written. Cyrus narrates his campaign against the Assyrians like he's telling a group of children around a campfire.

I'm two-thirds through the book, and I already plan to read this book again. If I ever have children, this will be their bedtime story. There's so much to learn from it, I'm sure my children will become better people if they grow up with this story.

Or, they'll end up conquering countries and such.

I plan on finishing Cyrus this weekend, and then I'm going to start reading "Never Eat Alone" by Keith Ferrazzi. Or maybe "Genghis Khan", because Yohanna recommended that one as well. However, Mr. Gosney also recommended the history of the Peloponnesian War.

Whatever is next on the list, I look forward to reading everything.

1 comment:

  1. Connor,

    I think I mentioned to you all earlier that although many of your assigned reading of 3,749 pages focused on war, it's really about Grand Strategy. As you're realizing now, what you're learning from this reading can be applied in so many different ways to what you do for the rest of your life. Whether it's the corporate takeover, a courtroom battle or coaching your daughter's little league team, it's all about war of some sort or the other so why not learn the grand strategies so you can come out the victor?

    I wonder, though, about your parenting skills if you choose to read to your children about how Cyrus the Great fought the Assyrians. They may need therapy well into their adulthood.

    Keep us informed, Connor, as you work on the rest of the books.

    ReplyDelete